GMS is a white, odorless, and sweet-tasting flaky powder that is hygroscopic.GMS is a food additive used as a thickening, emulsifying, anti-caking, and preservative agent; an emulsifying agent for oils, waxes, and solvents; a protective coating for hygroscopic powders; a solidifier and control release agent in pharmaceuticals; and a resin lubricant. It is also used in cosmetics and hair care products.
Glycerol Monostearate (GMS) is an emulsifier, thickening and anti-caking agent. In the food industry, GMS is used to add body to desserts like ice cream and whipped cream. It can also be used as a preservative or as a protective coating. It is responsible for giving ice cream and whipped cream its smooth texture. It is sometimes used as an anti-staling agent in bread. It is nontoxic & therefore very suitable for use in food formulation.
How to Use
- It is used to improve the physical and rheological properties of the batter and thus better-quality cakes Used as emulsifier dairy products such as cream, whipped cream, ice cream, cream powder, imitation creams, etc.
- Used as an emulsifier and thickened fruit/vegetable spreads, jams, jellies, marmalade.
- GMSgive cakes of good volume.
- Used as an emulsifier in the biscuit dough as it disperses fat uniformly.
- Used in the candy preparation, ensures smooth dispersion in flavour oils, improves texture & quality.
- Used in chewing gums, margarine and peanut butter as emulsifiers.
- Improve bread texture, and retard staling.
- Improve the aeration of doughs.